Sunday, September 28, 2008

BIG BIRTHDAYS

Jim and I will be turning 50 this year (well Jim has already turned) and I will be soon. Anyway, I have wanted a Bicycle Built for two for as long as I can remember. Our neighbors, Wally and Betty Green had a really nice Schwinn bike years ago and I loved to see them on it. I called them a couple of years ago and asked if they would sell it to me but they had already gotten rid of it. So I let it go for a couple more years and this year I decided that even if Jim was not that excited I would look for one. My search began on the internet and I found a great vintage bike on ebay (and it was even in Ogden, Ut) but I did not dare bid on it and I lost out. Anyway I went to ebay and found a site that sold them. I had no idea what I was buying, type speed etc. but it looked like a pretty good bike so I bought it.
Well we got it shipped to us and it only took a couple of days to get it. It probably took Jim and I longer to put it together than it took to ship it to us. We worked hard and it was very hot but we got it done. It ended up being a pretty nice bike. 21 speed, nice seats and quite nice to ride. We had our first test run and it did not go too bad. A little scary because I thought that I had bought a slow cruising bike and Jim apparently was in it to race. The only instructions with the bike were "You must be able to communicate in order to ride this bike" boy that is an understatement. When one stops pedaling the other one has to. You have to yell out "GLIDE" and then "PEDAL". Well I kept yelling "GLIDE" and Jim kept saying "PEDAL". Anyway we are having alot of fun with it so far. My mom (almost 84 years old) really wants to have a go on the bike but I am a little leary. She does ride her cruiser everyday, when it does not have a flat tire, that is. Maybe in a week or so I will get brave and let her ride with me.

3 comments:

Teresa said...

Congrats on the bike. I have always wanted a two seater bike also. I did get me a new bike this year for my birthday and have loved riding it. Have fun!

Ashley and Nate said...

Good for you guys! Maybe you'll like riding with Grandma better than Jim? I doubt she will "pedal" so much. And cute cute cute little puppy!

Unknown said...

Aunt Shirlee,
How fun are those bikes! They are actually pretty hard to ride. Anyway, Aunt Pauline told me to check this out. Very cute!